Unique Civil and Criminal Issues Facing Current and Former Military Service Members and Families Seminar Materials
||Searchable PDF via immediate download
- The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)
- Military pay and the role of the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) — Base Pay, Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS), Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), and Special Duty Pay
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) impact on divorce litigation — stopping default judgments
- Custody and visitation for military parents and the Virginia Military Parents Equal Protection Act
- Dividing the military pension
- Military support guidelines vs. Virginia support guidelines for child and spousal support
- Adverse administrative actions and their impact on a military career, military benefits, and family members
- Military Protective Orders
- Behavioral health concerns
- Jurisdiction, domicile, and legal residence
- The Survivor Benefit Plan
- Military dependent benefits (former spouse benefits, education benefits)
This comprehensive, stand-alone publication is direct from a December 2015 seminar.
With the relatively large percentage of current and former military families in Virginia, most practitioners will at some point find themselves confronted by the unique issues associated with military service. Do you know how to divide up the military pension, or understand the concepts of Base Pay, Basic Allowance for Subsistence, and Basic Allowance for Housing to properly calculate child support payments? Do you have a general understanding of the military criminal and administrative punishment regime your client may be facing? Do you understand your client’s rights under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and its impact on divorce litigation? Learn the unique legal issues necessary to professionally represent these current or former service members and family members.
I. Overview of Military Divorce Issues in Virginia
II. Criminal Issues: Overview of the Uniform Code of Military Justice and The Military Justice System
III. Overview of Military/Domestic Relations Issues in Virginia: Custody, Visitation, Support & Miscellaneous Issues
Peter Kageleiry, Jr.
Lori A. Michaud