Virginia's Historic Courthouses weds architecture, history, and the law -- not surprising in a collaboration between a historian and a lawyer. The talented husband-and-wife team has gathered a wealth of social history and architectural detail to chronicle Virginia's courthouses in photographs and text. It seems certain to appeal to all those for whom the law, history, architecture, preservation and tradition are important matters.
The book's range is tremendous -- from the King William County Courthouse, built in 1725 and still in use (most likely the oldest public building in continued use in the nation), to Richmond's massive Supreme Court-State Library Building, dedicated in 1941. In five chapters, the Peters trace the architectural evolution of Virginia's courthouses, from the first rudimentary structures, through Jeffersonian-inspired temples of justice to Colonial Revival, Victorian, and modern buildings that symbolize Virginia's vitality after the Civil War.
This book is an important public service contribution. It also represents the commitment of The Virginia Bar Association, a voluntary statewide organization of lawyers and judges, which has sponsored the work. The VBA deeply believes that Virginia's Historic Courthouses is a fitting tribute to the guiding principle of the rule of law itself.
This book is published by The University Press of Virginia. Virginia CLE® is pleased to make it available to Virginia practitioners.
Copyright © 1995 University Press of Virginia. All rights reserved.